The synopsis for this grant opportunity is detailed below, following
this paragraph. This synopsis contains all of the updates to this
document that have been posted as of
updates have been made to the opportunity synopsis, update information
is provided below the synopsis.
If you would like to receive notifications of changes to the grant
me change notification emails
The only thing you need to provide for this service is your email
address. No other information is requested.
Any inconsistency between the original printed document and the disk
or electronic document shall be resolved by giving precedence to the
Funding Opportunity Number:
Mar 13, 2013
Mar 13, 2013
Original Closing Date for Applications:
Mar 20, 2013
Current Closing Date for Applications:
Mar 20, 2013
Apr 19, 2013
Funding Instrument Type:
Category of Funding Activity:
Other (see text field entitled "Explanation of Other Category of Funding Activity" for clarification)
Expected Number of Awards:
Estimated Total Program Funding:
Keweenaw National Historical Park (NHP) and Keweenaw NHP Advisory Commission Partner Enhancement Grants
Cost Sharing or Matching Requirement:
Nonprofits having a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education
Additional Information on Eligibility:
National Park Service
• The Keweenaw NHP Advisory Commission (Commission) was established with the passage of P.L. 102-543 (16 U.S.C. §410yy). The Commission is directed in 16 U.S.C. §410yy-8. “Establishment and Duties” to:
(1) advise the Secretary in the preparation and implementation of a general management plan described in section 410yy–5 of this title;
(2) advise the Secretary on the development of and priorities for implementing standards and criteria by which the Secretary, pursuant to agreements referred to in sections 410yy–6 and 410yy–7 of this title, will provide financial as well as technical assistance to owners of non-Federal properties within the park;
(3) advise the Secretary on the development of rules governing the disbursal of funds for the development of non-Federal properties;
(4) advise the Secretary with respect to the selection of sites for interpretation and preservation by means of cooperative agreements pursuant to section 410yy–6 of this title;
(5) assist the Secretary in developing policies and programs for the conservation and protection of the scenic, historical, cultural, natural and technological values of the park which would complement the purposes of this subchapter;
(6) assist the Secretary in coordinating with local governments and the State of Michigan the implementation of the general management plan, and furthering the purposes of this subchapter;
(7) be authorized to carry out historical, educational, or cultural programs which encourage or enhance appreciation of the historic resources in the park, surrounding areas, and on the Keweenaw Peninsula; and
(8) be authorized to seek, accept, and dispose of gifts, bequests, or donations of money, personal property, or services, received from any source, consistent with the purposes of this subchapter and the park management.
• Furthermore, Appendix H of the Keweenaw NHP General Management Plan (1998) elaborates on the duties prescribed in the park’s enabling legislation. These duties are critical to fulfilling the purposes and mission of Keweenaw NHP.
• To facilitate the fulfillment of these duties, P.L. 111-11 §7101 authorizes funding for the Advisory Commission up to $250,000. A Congressional statutory aid appropriation in 2008 assisted the Advisory Commission in carrying out those duties. This grant agreement would provide funds for the Commission to continue along that path.
• Therefore, this grant agreement is justified as a sole source, noncompetitive grant per 505 DM 2.14(B)(2): Continuation - The activity to be funded is necessary to the satisfactory completion of, or is a continuation of an activity presently being funded, and for which competition would have a significant adverse effect on the continuity or completion of the activity; and (3) Legislative Intent.