The synopsis for this grant opportunity is detailed below, following
this paragraph. This synopsis contains all of the updates to this
document that have been posted as of
updates have been made to the opportunity synopsis, update information
is provided below the synopsis.
If you would like to receive notifications of changes to the grant
me change notification emails
The only thing you need to provide for this service is your email
address. No other information is requested.
Any inconsistency between the original printed document and the disk
or electronic document shall be resolved by giving precedence to the
Funding Opportunity Number:
Sep 27, 2011
Sep 27, 2011
Original Closing Date for Applications:
Sep 30, 2012
Current Closing Date for Applications:
Sep 30, 2012
Oct 30, 2012
Funding Instrument Type:
Category of Funding Activity:
Expected Number of Awards:
Estimated Total Program Funding:
Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) for K-12 & Institutions of Higher Learning- NAVY
Cost Sharing or Matching Requirement:
City or township governments
Independent school districts
Public and State controlled institutions of higher education
Native American tribal organizations (other than Federally recognized tribal governments)
Nonprofits having a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education
Private institutions of higher education
For profit organizations other than small businesses
Additional Information on Eligibility:
Office of Naval Research
The Office of Naval Research (ONR) seeks proposals as provided under the authority set forth in subdivision (1) of subsection 2192 (b) of title 10 in support of education programs in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). The ONR mission of STEM is to: foster an interest in, knowledge of, and study in science, technology, engineering and mathematics nationwide to ensure an educated and well-prepared naval and national STEM workforce. In support of this mission, the following four investment priorities have been identified:
● Inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers. [Programs that fall mostly within Grades K-10]
● Engage students in STEM-related hands-on learning activities with Naval relevance. [Programs that fall mostly within Grades 3-12]
● Educate students to be well prepared for STEM employment in the Navy and Marine Corps as well as supporting academic institutions and/or the Naval contractor community. [Programs that fall mostly within Higher Education]
● Employ, retain and develop Naval STEM professionals. [Programs that fall mostly within Higher Education and Professional Development]
For more information on these priorities, please review the Naval STEM Strategic Plan at www.onr.navy.mil
The purpose of this announcement is to receive proposals in support of the Naval Strategic Plan and the Office of Naval Research's scientific outreach and education mission to develop its next generation of scientists and engineers. The objective of these activities will be to:
1. Establish successful, sustainable, and affordable long-term, national Navy-sponsored programs targeted at elementary and secondary schools as well as institutions of higher learning.
2. Increase the awareness of and exposure to Naval relevant STEM content, research experience and career options through education and outreach programs.
3. Establish and maintain a pipeline of students, particularly women and under-represented minorities, who will apply for and participate in Naval education and outreach programs.
4. Increase the number of domestic students (particularly students from under-represented groups) completing STEM degrees through enhancing student interest and attitudes toward science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
5. Strengthen peer, family, and school support for STEM programs.
6. Ensure long-term inclusiveness of women and minorities in Naval science and technology programs.
7. Increase the number of students taking college-prep science and mathematics courses.
8. Strengthen the resources and training offered to STEM teachers.
Additional activities supported may include providing financial assistance to organizations supporting STEM activities, providing funding and support for national competitions by arranging for DoD personnel to participate as judges and presenters, providing support for STEM education and outreach conferences and supporting teacher STEM education and training initiatives. Stipends for teachers undertaking professional training in connection with these activities may be supported as well as funding for the acquisition of materials and resources needed to launch, implement, assess, and improve the program. Additionally, evaluations of existing Navy/DoD program efforts and strategies to maximize marketing program opportunities to affected populations may be supported.
ONR encourages the project results to be published in appropriate academic journals at the end of the period of performance.
The FULL ANNOUNCEMENT is available on the grants.gov website by scrolling to the top of the synopsis page and clicking on the "FULL ANNOUNCEMENT" box surrounded by the dotted line at the top of the page.