The synopsis for this grant opportunity is detailed below, following
this paragraph. This synopsis contains all of the updates to this
document that have been posted as of
updates have been made to the opportunity synopsis, update information
is provided below the synopsis.
If you would like to receive notifications of changes to the grant
me change notification emails
The only thing you need to provide for this service is your email
address. No other information is requested.
Any inconsistency between the original printed document and the disk
or electronic document shall be resolved by giving precedence to the
Funding Opportunity Number:
Mar 09, 2011
Mar 09, 2011
Original Closing Date for Applications:
May 13, 2011
Current Closing Date for Applications:
May 13, 2011
Jun 12, 2011
Funding Instrument Type:
Category of Funding Activity:
Expected Number of Awards:
Estimated Total Program Funding:
WaterSMART (Sustaining and Manage America's Resources for Tomorrow)
Cost Sharing or Matching Requirement:
Others (see text field entitled "Additional Information on Eligibility" for clarification)
Additional Information on Eligibility:
In accordance with P.L. 111-11, Section 9504, of the SECURE Water Act, eligible applicants include any:
• University located in the United States
• Non-profit research institution located in the United States
• Organization with water or power delivery authority located in the Western United States or Territories (as identified in the Reclamation Act of June 17, 1902, as amended and supplemented; specifically, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Virgin Islands)
Bureau of Reclamation - Denver Office
The objective of this Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) is to invite universities, non-profit research institutions, and organizations with water or power delivery authority to leverage their money and resources by cost sharing with Reclamation on activities designed to enhance the management of water resources, including developing tools to assess the impacts of climate change on water resources.
These projects will focus on the information gaps outlined in the joint Reclamation and United States Army Corps of Engineers Report titled Addressing Climate Change in Long-Term Water Resources Planning and Management: User Needs for Improving Tools and Information. Projects will support ongoing efforts under the SECURE Water Act (Subtitle F of Title IX of the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009, P.L. 111 11 (42 USC 10364), including efforts within DOI Landscape Conservation Cooperatives (LCCs), Basin Studies, and West-Wide Climate Risk Assessments (WWCRAs). These three programs serve important functions in addressing the effects of climate change on water resources:
• LCCs are partnerships that bring together science and resource conservation to support and complement adaptation strategies addressing climate change and water conservation.
• Basin Studies are comprehensive water supply and demand studies evaluating the ability to meet future water demands within a basin or sub-basin.
• WWCRAs provide a consistent baseline of climate impact information that the Basin Studies may use.
Together, these programs support Reclamation’s efforts to meet the obligation under Section 9503 of the SECURE Water Act of establishing a climate change adaptation program. The research projects will assist these efforts by helping to narrow uncertainties, provide information in more usable forms, or develop more robust strategies for incorporating uncertainty into decision-making.
Enhanced water management is a crucial element of any plan to address the Nation’s water issues. With leveraged water management research grants, an important step will be taken towards improving water management for a more efficient use of water in the West.
Link to Additional Information
If you have difficulty accessing the full announcement
electronically, please contact: