Step-by-Step: Advanced Approach
The following approach is best suited for larger teams of registered users -- some of whom may be from external organizations, such as consultants, grant writers and sub-applicants.
1. Make sure all team members and external contributors have registered with Grants.gov
Without a Grants.gov account, team members or external contributors will not be able to access the workspace and fill out application webforms. For example, if you want seven different individuals to help complete webforms, then all seven should register a Grants.gov account .
2. Design an internal application workflow and assign responsibilities to your team members and external contributors
Use our interactive workflow graphic and Workspace roles and access chart to help you design your application plan. For example, you will want at least one "participant" to have the Manage Workspace role, so that he or she can create the workspace. You will also want a participant (associated with the DUNS that owns the workspace) who has the AOR role, so that the application can be submitted when it has been completed.
3. Log in and create your workspace from the Package tab on the View Grant Opportunity page of the grant announcement
Any user with the Manage Workspace role may create the workspace. The user who creates the workspace will automatically become the Workspace Owner.
4. Add team members from your organization as "Participants" so they can access the application forms
The Workspace Owner (an access level automatically assigned to the user who creates the workspace) should add Participants to the workspace. At least one Participant should have the AOR role so that the workspace can be submitted.
5. Add any additional Participants who are registered with Grants.gov, though not part of your organization
The Workspace Owner can add any external contributors to the workspace as long as they have registered with Grants.gov.
6. Limit budget form access to only the Participants who need it
The Workspace Owner may want to control access to sensitive budget forms. This is most conveniently done when adding individual participants to the workspace.
7. Add subforms to your workspace so that sub-applicants can easily find and complete them
Some workspace forms contain subforms that must be filled out separately from the "parent" form. A Workspace Owner can access and enable a package's subforms by clicking the Manage Subforms link in the Form Name column on the Forms tab of the Manage Workspace page. After adding a subform, the Workspace Owner may want to change the form access level of any sub-applicants that have been added (or will be added).
8. Reuse forms from previous workspaces
Applicants may choose to reuse forms (or even an entire workspace). When a form is reused, the information on the form's cover sheet will be updated to match the current workspace. Also note, after a form is reused, any data in the new workspace form will be overwritten.
9. Complete all required forms that remain
Applicants may choose to complete either the PDF version or the webform version of each form. They may also switch between form types. Data is synced to the workspace upon uploading the PDF forms and upon saving the webforms. Grants.gov recommends that the person completing each form locks access to it, so that others cannot overwrite the work.
10. When all forms have been completed, the AOR can be notified and the application submitted
Workspace performs some error checks on form fields automatically. Other checks are run by clicking the Check Application button within the workspace. When the application is ready, the Workspace Owner (if he or she is not an AOR) has the option of clicking the Complete and Notify AOR button. However, at any point after all forms are in the "Passed" status, the AOR may log in and click the Sign and Submit button.
11. Track your application and download the submitted application for your offline record-keeping
After submitting, you can track your application using the tracking number you receive from Grants.gov. You may also want to download a copy of your submitted application for your offline recordkeeping. We recommend tracking and downloading your application via the Details tab of your workspace.